In the 1960s, automobiles manufactured in Japan consistently beats their competitors in American market. Many refers to the lean manufacturing methodology as the secret sauce. The software industries borrowed a lot of similar methodologies from TPS (Toyota Production System) into software development industry, which gave rise to agile software development.
For software to deliver value, it is not just about developing software in agile methodologies. A full SDLC (software development life cycle) includes build, release and upgrades too, some of which are managed in a different department in the organization.
DevOps extends agile methodology across departments. In the DevOps tooling landscape, the core is CI/CD pipelines to enable automation through SDLC, as well as software deployment to customer environment.
In addition to automation, DevOps involves many other aspects. For example a secure and efficient workflow to release application. Feedback is important for effective iterations, which requires observability. The observability configuration of an IT system determines the quality of feedback from real-life deployments, and eventually determines how fast an application can iterate towards maturity.
Read more about DevOps:
- Etcd – the key-value store for Kubernetes - Etcd in Kubernetes In Kubernetes architecture, etcd is the data store. It stores the desired state of Kubernetes object. API server is the only client that connects to etcd (via gRPC protocol). Cluster builder specifies the endpoint of etcd as a parameter to the kube-api-server process. Other Kubernetes components, whether… ... Read moreEtcd – the key-value store for Kubernetes
- Hosting database on Kubernetes - Background "We want to host Postgres database on Kubernetes. Can you help us?". The client appears assertive and reluctant to resort to managed services. So I did some homework and went through this tutorial. My thought: it's doable, but don't do it unless operating database as a service is your… ... Read moreHosting database on Kubernetes
- FSx ONTAP – Enterprise storage on AWS - Even though object storage has gained a lot of popularity, file storage is still prevalent. AWS has Elastic File System but the performance is insufficient for enterprise workload. The FSx product line has enterprise storage options and on Sept 2, 2021, AWS launched FSx ONTAP. This post is my impression… ... Read moreFSx ONTAP – Enterprise storage on AWS
- Knative Eventing Introduction - In the previous post, I mentioned that Knative Serving and Knative Eventing should be seen as two different projects. The former is supposed to be widely used as a serving layer for microservices, whereas the latter has a narrower customer base. There are a dozen companies who need to build… ... Read moreKnative Eventing Introduction
- Knative Serving Introduction - Background As per IBM's definition, Knative enables serverless workloads to run on Kubernetes clusters, and makes building and orchestrating containers with Kubernetes faster and easier. It has drawn a lot of attention recently. It released version 1.0 in November 2021, and was accepted as a CNCF incubating project in March… ... Read moreKnative Serving Introduction
ontact Digi Hunch for Professional Services.