In the 1960s, automobiles manufactured in Japan consistently beats their competitors in American market. Many refers to the lean manufacturing methodology as the secret sauce. The software industries borrowed a lot of similar methodologies from TPS (Toyota Production System) into software development industry, which gave rise to agile software development.
For software to deliver value, it is not just about developing software in agile methodologies. A full SDLC (software development life cycle) includes build, release and upgrades too, some of which are managed in a different department in the organization.
DevOps extends agile methodology across departments. In the DevOps tooling landscape, the core is CI/CD pipelines to enable automation through SDLC, as well as software deployment to customer environment.
In addition to automation, DevOps involves many other aspects. For example a secure and efficient workflow to release application. Feedback is important for effective iterations, which requires observability. The observability configuration of an IT system determines the quality of feedback from real-life deployments, and eventually determines how fast an application can iterate towards maturity.
Read more about DevOps:
- FluxCD: Continuous Deployment with GitOps - Background In the Korthweb project, I landed on Istio for the Ingress Gateway technology. I first attempted to expand the orthanc Helm Chart to bring Istio as dependency (sub-chart). One of the external chart for Istio gateway needs to be referenced multiple times (for ingress and egress). However, it cannot… ... Read moreFluxCD: Continuous Deployment with GitOps
- Creating self-signed x.509 certificate - In deployment automation, I often had to create self-signed X509 certificate for testing. This post summarized the three approaches I've taken. The OpenSSL way Traditionally, this is done in three OpenSSL commands: openssl req -x509 -sha256 -newkey rsa:4906 -keyout ca.key -out ca.crt -days 356 -nodes -subj '/CN=Health Certificate Authority' openssl… ... Read moreCreating self-signed x.509 certificate
- From Ingress to Gateway: why my solution needs Istio Gateways on Kubernetes platforms - In my Korthweb project I was researching for the best ingress mechanism for HTTP and TCP workload, both of which need to be secured. I started with Kubernetes Ingress but eventually decided to go with Istio Gateway. This blog post is about the justification. In this essay, I will make… ... Read moreFrom Ingress to Gateway: why my solution needs Istio Gateways on Kubernetes platforms
- AKS Lessons Learned 2 of 2 - Even though Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) is a managed service, building a cluster is not trivial. For help resources, I would start with the webinar "Configure Your AKS cluster with Confidence" from April 2021, which focuses on a set of working best practices (convention over configuration) but obviously not every… ... Read moreAKS Lessons Learned 2 of 2
- AKS Lessons Learned 1 of 2 - In general, troubleshooting Kubernetes is tricky. That is because one has to get in and out of pods. I took two days to troubleshoot some networking issues with private AKS cluster. For the amount of of tricks I had to employ, I need to take some notes. The issue After… ... Read moreAKS Lessons Learned 1 of 2
ontact Digi Hunch for Professional Services.