In the 1960s, automobiles manufactured in Japan consistently beats their competitors in American market. Many refers to the lean manufacturing methodology as the secret sauce. The software industries borrowed a lot of similar methodologies from TPS (Toyota Production System) into software development industry, which gave rise to agile software development.
For software to deliver value, it is not just about developing software in agile methodologies. A full SDLC (software development life cycle) includes build, release and upgrades too, some of which are managed in a different department in the organization.
DevOps extends agile methodology across departments. In the DevOps tooling landscape, the core is CI/CD pipelines to enable automation through SDLC, as well as software deployment to customer environment.
In addition to automation, DevOps involves many other aspects. For example a secure and efficient workflow to release application. Feedback is important for effective iterations, which requires observability. The observability configuration of an IT system determines the quality of feedback from real-life deployments, and eventually determines how fast an application can iterate towards maturity.
Read more about DevOps:
- Key mapping for external PC keyboard on Mac - This post is to document my steps to use external Windows keyboard on Mac with custom key mapping. Background Apple's magic keyboard does not support multi-device so I have to repurpose my Logitech K810 keyboard with MacBook. Logitech K810 is and old model with Windows key layout even though it… ... Read moreKey mapping for external PC keyboard on Mac
- AWS serverless services and developer tools - As discussed, serverless simply means cloud services that delegate autoscaling management to cloud platform. In my mind, the word "serverless" translates into "managed autoscaling". As long as a service's capacity is managed automatically, we can consider it as serverless. Given that capacity scaling accounts for a good amount of work… ... Read moreAWS serverless services and developer tools
- Computing services: from PaaS to Serverless - Silicon Valley startups in mid-2000s likely do not run their own IT operations (i.e. renting their own data centre spaces, purchasing their own rack-mounted servers). Since the launch of EC2, AWS has been renting extra computing capacity to those startups, in the IaaS model. The leased infrastructure requires maintenance work,… ... Read moreComputing services: from PaaS to Serverless
- GraphQL and gRPC - Big Picture For inter-process communication at a high level, the two styles are asynchronous and synchronous styles: Asynchronous event-driven style: involving an event broker as a middle man. Synchronous request-response style: including several families of technologies:RPC (Remote Procedure Call):CORBA (Common Object Request Broker Architecture)Java RMI (Remote Method Invocation)SOAP (Simple Object… ... Read moreGraphQL and gRPC
- Build and Manage Kubernetes Clusters - There are numerous options to build a Kubernetes cluster. If your company is developing a multi-cloud strategy, most likely you will have to deal with cluster creation on multiple cloud platform or on virtual machines on premise. Most likely, the chosen cloud platform already make it simple for us. However,… ... Read moreBuild and Manage Kubernetes Clusters
ontact Digi Hunch for Professional Services.